Third Text is delighted to announce that following an open selection process undertaken by an independent recruitment panel, Dr Philippa Joseph and Professor Haim Bresheeth have been appointed to carry out the independent review.
Dr Philippa Joseph is one of the UK's most experienced and respected academic publishers, having worked variously for Oxford University Press, Blackwell Publishing, and Wiley. In a distinguished career from 1994 to 2013, Dr Joseph worked closely with scores of learned societies and journals and books in the humanities. She is now an independent publishing consultant, as well as the reviews editor for the highly-respected history magazine, History Today, a member of the publishing board of the Institute of Historical Research at the University of London, and a lecturer and writer.
Professor Haim Bresheeth is a filmmaker, photographer and a film studies scholar, retired from the University of East London, where he worked since early 2002. He now teaches Film Studies at the School of Oriental and African Studies (SOAS). Professor Bresheeth is a distinguished scholar writing extensively on the Middle East, Israel and Palestine, and an author and editor. His film London is Burning (2013) on the London Riots was released last year, and his latest book on the formative history of Zionism will be published in winter 2014.
Both Dr Joseph and Professor Bresheeth bring a wealth of experience in academic publishing and Third Text looks forward to their research and recommendations.
Their brief is:
• To review of the organisation Black Umbrella, its structure, mandate, authority, governance and activity with respect to Third Text
• To review the changes and developments that have occurred in the organisation of Black Umbrella and Third Text in the last two years
• To review the editorial and operational model of Third Text
• To clarify the journal’s management and the roles specific to the Third Text editorial team
• To make a proposal to sustain and develop the journal’s future.
Dr Joseph and Professor Bresheeth will want to consult a wide range of people who have an interest in Third Text, past, present and future and may be contacting you with this in mind to ascertain your views. Everything will be undertaken on a strictly confidential basis and all views expressed will be for their purposes only.